Our rehabilitation services help people with vision loss build skills and confidence needed to perform daily activities.
Life Skills Education
- Our life skills education classes and one-on-one sessions teach clients how to use their existing vision most effectively and how to apply specific functional techniques.
- Skills taught include kitchen safety, the preparation and cooking of meals, the completion of checks and forms, the use of smartphones, and adjustments to in-home lighting.
- Access technology instruction helps clients use current and emerging technologies that help facilitate daily life.
- Orientation and mobility training (O&M) helps clients understand their surroundings and how to navigate between familiar locations. Specialized techniques taught include sensory development, use of transit systems, and problem-solving skills.
- Many of our life skills classes are taught by our vision rehabilitation therapist, who is certified by the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP).
- Our O&M training is also is delivered by an ACVREP-certified specialist.
- Individualized life skills instruction also is available.
- Personal counseling by our certified vision rehabilitation therapist helps clients become more accepting of their impairments and improve their outlook on life.
- In-person counseling sessions can be held at an agency campus or in a client’s home.
- Counseling by phone or videoconferencing also is available.
Low Vision Functional Exams
- Functional exams at our Lehigh Valley and Monroe low vision care centers are available to both our clients and patients referred by external physicians.
- These specialized exams determine what magnifiers or devices are best for each person.
- Our exams are performed by Anthony Silvetti, O.D., a low vision specialist who has more than 30 years of experience and was trained at the Pennsylvania College of Optometry.
- Exams are eligible for coverage by Medicare and many medical insurance policies.
- Consultations about assistive technologies are provided with all examinations.
- Clients and patients also can purchase devices for everyday life tasks inside our Lehigh Valley vision aids store. The store also is open to the public by appointment during typical business hours.
- We can help clients and patients seek financial assistance toward their purchases.
Contact for Information
Jennifer Pandolfo, 570.992.7787