Our rehabilitative services help people with vision loss build skills needed to perform functional activities.
Vision Rehabilitation Therapy (VRT)
- Clients learn how to use their existing vision most effectively and are introduced to assistive technologies.
- Clients learn adaptive skills related to kitchen safety, the preparation and cooking of meals, the completion of checks and forms, the use of smartphones, and adjustments to in-home lighting.
- Specialized counseling helps clients acclimate to life with vision loss.
- Our vision rehabilitation therapist is certified by the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP).
Orientation and Mobility Instruction (O&M)
- Orientation and mobility instruction helps clients understand their surroundings and how to navigate between familiar locations.
- Specialized techniques taught include sensory development, use of transit systems, and problem-solving skills.
- Training is led by an O&M specialist certified by the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP).
Low Vision Care Centers
- Low Vision Care Centers at our Lehigh Valley and Monroe campuses are available to both registered clients and patients referred by physicians.
- Our low vision optometrist performs specialized exams to determine what magnifiers or devices are best for each person.
- Exams are eligible for coverage by Medicare and many medical insurance policies.
- Clients and patients can order devices through our agency and we can help clients seek financial assistance.
- Our Vision Aids Store at our Lehigh Valley Campus carries a selection of products that help people with vision loss accomplish daily tasks.
- Our Low Vision Care is led by Anthony Silvetti, O.D., a low vision specialist who has more than 30 years of experience and was trained at the Pennsylvania College of Optometry.
Facts About Our Rehabilitative Services
- We provided vision rehabilitation therapy (VRT) and orientation and mobility (O&M) services to 58 clients in 2018-2019 – a 107% increase from the prior year.
- Our low vision specialist performed exams on 173 clients and referred patients in 2018-2019.
Contact for Information
Jennifer Pandolfo, 570.992.7787