Our prevention services focus on children primarily but also serve adults and professionals. We screen preschool children primarily because school systems are responsible for screening students and because early detection and intervention of issues help children start their formal education successfully.
Vision Screenings for Kids
- Up to 80% of what a typical child learns comes through their visual system and at least 20% of people identified with learning disabilities have significant visual issues.
- Our free vision screenings are conducted with state-of-the-art SPOT equipment that is highly accurate in the determination of conditions such as near and farsightedness, astigmatisms, strabismus, and amblyopia.
- Our screening equipment also is especially effective to use for kids who are autistic, have other disabilities, or have language problems.
- More than 85% of our vision screenings are performed on kids ages 2-6, and we can screen those as young as six months.
- Approximately 95% of our screenings are held at preschools, daycare centers, and public kindergarten registrations.
- We screen approximately 8,000 kids in a typical year and refer about 9% of them for additional care.
- Families of kids referred for care receive printed screening results to share with an eye care professional.
- Our C. Well Bunny Goes to School education program also can be made at screening events.
Community Education Programs
- We offer a variety of educational programs for preschool kids, students, adults, and professionals.
- Our C. Well Bunny Goes to School presentation introduces preschool children to basic concepts about eye health and safety. During some of his adventures, C. Well is joined by friends Dr. Optical and Miss Illusion.
- Our Low Vision Road Show shows audiences the specialized services that are available to people affected by vision loss.
- Our Eyes in the Library presentation encourages students to discover the similarities and differences between human and animal eyes.
- Our Doing Things Differently presentation helps professionals interact effectively in their workplaces with visually impaired patients, customers, and clients.
- Customized presentations are available on a limited basis.
Facts About Our Prevention Services
- We screened a total of 8,009 children in 2018-2019 – a 22% increase over a two-year period.
- We referred 9% of screened children for additional care in 2018-2019.
- We reached 13,987 people through our prevention services in 2018-2019, an 18% increase over a two-year period.
Contact for Information
Jennifer Pandolfo, 570.992.7787, Ext. 222